Black Salt is a powerful protection and purification tool. It can be used to clear your space of negative energies and protect your home or business from unwanted visitors.
How To Make Black Salt
- Take about a half cup of salt and 1/4 cup of any herb you choose. (I like using lavender because it’s excellent for protection.)
- Preheat your cast-iron skillet on medium heat.
- Place a large spoonful of salt in the pan and char it until you smell smoke, about 1 minute per side (you’ll know it’s correctly done when the salt turns black).
- Let cool completely and use as needed.
Black salt is most often made with dried herbs like mint or lavender flowers but can also be made with other things like garlic powder or red chili peppers.
Pro tip: When using a cast-iron pan, let it cool before removing it from heat. This can take up to an hour, depending on how hot your stove gets and how often it’s used.
You can also burn herbs or incense and mix the ashes with any salt to make black salt.
Sprinkle the ashes onto the salt, starting with a small amount and adding more until you get the color of salt you want. The amount you use will depend on how much salt you have, so start with less and add more as needed.
Stir the ashes into the salt.
- Take care to avoid inhaling the ashes. You can use a wooden spoon or another nonmetal tool to stir the salt. Metal tools are okay for mixing, but black salt will be more evenly colored if you use only wooden spoons or forks, etc.
- If you’re making a large amount of black salt (more than 2 cups), reduce the amount of ash you add by about half, as adding too much can result in clumps forming in your final product instead of an even color throughout.
- Grind the salt and ashes in a mortar until mixed well, and you get a nice dark color.
- The final product’s color depends on what type of herb you’ve used, so make sure you’re happy with how dark it looks before moving on.
How Do You Use Black Salt?
There are many ways to use black salt for protection, but here are a few of my favorites:
Sprinkle some on your front porch or entryway floor before going to bed at night. In the morning, sweep it up and dispose of it properly. This will help clear any negativity around your home while keeping out unwanted guests who may not have had good intentions when knocking on your door!
Sprinkle some on top of your front door threshold before opening it in the morning. This will keep any negative energy out while allowing positive energy in.
Here are some ways you can use black salt in your witchcraft practice:
- Spells and rituals
- Protection spells and rituals
- Banishing negative energies
- Cleansing spaces and objects
Can you use black salt to do spellwork?
A few things to consider when using black salt in spells: it’s best not to spill it on your skin; if you do, wash yourself off immediately and make sure that you don’t touch anybody else until you have rewashed.
If you’re making a love spell, do not use white candles. Instead, try a red candle (red symbolizes passion).
If your intention is to protect or banish evil spirits or negative energy, this is the perfect ingredient for your spell.
You can also use black salt in healing rituals and other types of spells that require purification.
Black Salt For Cleansing and Warming
Use black salt to cleanse your home of negative energy and protect it from future harm. Sprinkle it around the house and allow it to sit overnight to absorb negative energies before sweeping it away in the morning. You can also add the salt to boiling water and let it simmer overnight in a pot on your stove or windowsill. The steam will carry away any negative energy in the room as well. If you have pets, you can sprinkle some on their bedding, too!
2. Warming Feet
If you’re cold, rubbing your feet with black salt will help warm them up quickly! The minerals in the salt draw blood toward them and keep them warm for more extended periods than other types of salts would do on their own. This makes it perfect for keeping feet warm during cold winter months when walking outside is difficult or impossible because there’s so much snow on the ground.
Where Should You Store Black Salt
It is best to store black salt in a cool, dry place. It will last for many years if stored properly. You can also put it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to use it.
This salt is excellent for use in protection and banishing magickal workings, grounding and centering yourself, undoing misdeeds, breaking up negativity around you, or just as a simple way to do ceremonial cleansing.
All of these uses have very similar elements directly tied to the powers of black salt.
If a ritual calls for using holy water, this can be expanded by adding black salt.
If the ritual calls for salt straight up, substitute your black salt for regular salt.
I believe that there are many uses for this simple magickal tool. It can empower any work involving fire or water. It can be added to a bath to create an environment of purification and cleansing.
Or, you can use it during any spellwork involving trees or vines. Black salt can help cut the ties that bind you or to shed the restrictions that hinder your forward progress.